Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Things my self-worth is wrapped up in, however irrational, in no particular order

I can know, rationally, all day long that these are not really what makes up someone's worth (what does, after all?), but it doesn't stop the sometimes crippling feelings.  The items that seem the most minuscule are what ultimately hurt the most.

-how frequently, and how hard, I work out
-how tidy any particular part of the apartment is (difficult, as I am a terrible housekeeper)
-the results of any and all baking projects (I have had full meltdowns after burning muffins)
-the results of any and all cooking and confectionary projects, including basic dinner meals
-how well I can maintain a demeanor of being funny, witty, intelligent, and sociably well-adjusted
-how well I can handle touch out of my direct control
-eyeliner
-my body fat percentage
-results of art/photography projects (notice they are increasingly rare)
-my ability to control what I eat and drink
-my ability to not cry in front of other people, particularly when I deem it "inappropriate" (read: in almost any context)
-how much I can get done in a workday
-how long I can resist recurring urges to self-harm (so far so good)
-how well I can keep up the appearance of being "okay" when I am desperately not
-how well I can cover (with makeup) the still-healing mark from a recent cold sore on my lip
-how well I can keep my face (eyes/eyebrows) looking "even"
-how well I can maintain seeming "okay" while simultaneously remaining very open about my mental illness
-how well I can keep the symptoms of my hormonal imbalances (hello, testosterone) in check and "undetectable" (see: facial hair and acanthosis nigricans)
-the tone, sound, and cadence of my voice
-how well I can consistently pronounce vowel sounds when speaking
-how nicely I can plate a dessert for 600 people (this is troubling, because I think I am actually quite good at plating and have an aesthetic style that I enjoy, but logistics and certain shitty bosses have a way at eroding my love for it)
-how well I can be a "good friend" (haven't gotten the hang of that yet, I'm pretty sure)
-how well and by what means I can help someone who needs it, and my willingness to do so
-how "likeable" I am, or think I am (it's not good)

No comments:

Post a Comment